Re: Export text cleanly out of PDF or save PDF in diff. formats?

Subject: Re: Export text cleanly out of PDF or save PDF in diff. formats?
From: JimGroark -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 14:31:25 EST

Not too long ago, I had a project that required me to take a good number
of .PDF files created by various military components, convert them to
MS Word format, and edit them. The original documents were converted
to .PDF from other formats, mostly Interleaf.

Initially, I tried apps I already owned, starting with Adobe Illustrator
v8.0. This was problematic, and tedious, because each page of the .PDF
file is treated like an individual file. Also, I would eventually reach
a point where Illustrator would no longer open the file I was working
with.

Next I tried Corel Draw 8 and Deneba Canvas. However, the font formatting
went crazy.

I got a demo copy of Pit Stop from Enfocus, but it was very expensive
to purchase and didn't seem to be a standout performer. I ran across a
description of a product called Aerial, which sold for well under $100,
but couldn't find a reseller quickly enough.

Finally, I bought the Acrobat package. Acrobat 4.0 is much improved over
3.0.

What you have to do is use the "formatted text" selection tool to copy
text other than columns or tables. Then paste the text into a Word
document using "Edit", "Paste Special", "Formatted Text". Columnar
text must be copied using the Acrobat "text columns" tool, and tables
using the "tables" tool.

It's fairly labor intensive, but it's better than any other method
I've found.

VR
Jim Groark

From: aschiff -at- factset -dot- com
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:16:17 -0500

Hi,
A co-worker e-mailed me this question, and I can't find anything helpful in
the Acrobat Exchange help file.

"Does anyone know of an application that can export text cleanly out of a
PDF file or save a PDF in different formats? Any help on the subject would
be appreciated. Thanks!"

According to the help file, you can export as EPS... however, I don't know
how to get it from EPS into anything usable in this case. I think he wants
something like a Word, TXT, or RTF format.

AS