Re: Motivation

Subject: Re: Motivation
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-l (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:49:30 -0500

> Even then, you are encouraged to take time off during the
> crunch. If, for
> example, you are waiting for a major deliverable from another
> person or
> department before you can make your next major contribution, you are
> encouraged to spend that wait time away from the office.

After you've put in your 40 hours or regardless of whether you've put in
your 40 hours?

I'd be thrilled if I was allowed "time off" when I had very little to keep
me busy in the office. For the past two months my schedule has been very
light at times while I wait for drafts to come back from developers or our
editor, or while I wait for additional information to be available so I can
do more writing. I can't tell you how many times I've found myself thinking
about all of the things-to-do I have waiting at home for me while I struggle
to keep busy at work. When things are slow for me, I go around asking the
other writers if they have anything I could take off their hands to lighten
their workload, mainly so I don't go crazy sitting...and waiting...and
waiting.

I keep hearing about how busy and over-worked documentation groups
(including my own) are, but I can't believe I'm the only person who has slow
times slow enough that I wouldn't be missed if I was gone for a few days.
Do other companies go through the same thing?

Megan