We'll always have Paris

Subject: We'll always have Paris
From: Jim Cort <jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com>
To: "'techwrites'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 08:06:35 -0500

As usual, many helpful responses have come in from various whirlers. To
wit:

A friend of mine works in Business Objects in Paris and he writes in
English. But I don't know if they're looking or not. You could try their web
site (www.businessobjects.com <http://www.businessobjects.com> )

Just a suggestion, but has she tried to get in with Alcatel?
It's an international telecom company that's based in France. Many firms
here in Dallas place people at Alcatel. Tell your friend to contact Ajilon
and TechniSource. I know that they both place at Alcatel.

The British Council is the Brit gov't educational & cultural organisation.
When a Brit ballet troupe visits LA, or Russian physicists come to Oxford or
.. the Council handles it.
They're also the largest English language teaching organisation on the
planet, and do a lot of consulting, train-the-trainer, write the textbooks,
design the tests, ...
They have an office in Paris. Hierarchy has the Representative, essentially
a diplomat, in charge, but much of the show is run by the ELO (English
Language Officer).
American equivalent is USIS, US Info Service.

I believe someone was advertising on Techwr-l jobs addendum awhile back.
There were at least two tech writer openings. Check the archives.

Two agencies are Eurosoft and Harvey Nash and both have offices in Paris.

My husband was in the military and we were stationed in Germany at one time.
If your friend can determine if there are any US military installations in
or near Paris, they always have civilian jobs associated with them. Also,
the University of Maryland has extension centers located near many US
military installations. I was a registrar for a year and a half and loved
it! Unfortunately, with the cold war at an end, many military installations
have been closed down.
I'm not sure what the web site is, but it might be worthwhile to search on
"Department of Defense" on the internet. I understand that they list job
openings there.

Your friend could do worse than try one of the English techwriting agencies
-
Digitext and Kudos - I don't have their addresses here I'm afraid, but you
would
probably find them in the archives. Both these agencies advertise job
opportunities in mainland Europe as well as in Britain. I've seen quite a
few
positions in Paris for native English speakers. There is also a French STC
chapter, http://stc.org/region1/sfc/ <http://stc.org/region1/sfc/>

Many thanks to all you sophisticated, continental, Euro-savvy whirlers.
Jim Cort
Technical Writer
Totaltel
Jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com <mailto:Jcort -at- totaltel -dot- com>