RE: FWD: Interleaf to Frame?

Subject: RE: FWD: Interleaf to Frame?
From: Krista Van Laan <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 17:03:52 -0800

Anonymous wrote:

> There is a lot of opinion about moving from Word to Frame, but I'm
> interested in whether any of you have needed or wanted to move from
> Interleaf to Frame.

> For those of you who have used both, which do you prefer and why? At my
> company, we are using Interleaf but for the majority of our documents it's
> definitely overkill. I used Frame before I came here, and I like it
> better. It's powerful, but faster, more flexible, and more intuitive than
> Interleaf. JMHO

> If any of you have had to put together a business case for changing this
> direction, it would be useful to see your rationale for making this
> change. (We are distributing docs on paper and on CD with WorldView.)

I did put together a business case at my last company and came up with the
conclusion
that my department should not convert from Interleaf to FrameMaker. (Sorry,
I don't have
the paper since I no longer work there.) I was eventually persuaded by my
boss
to make the conversion anyway to conform to some other departments, so we
went ahead
and did so.

Although I have no objection to using FrameMaker, I can't see any reason for
converting unless your company has some business reason to do so, as mine
did.
It was extremely costly. Interleaf is a huge financial investment (WorldView
in
particular) that is lost if you stop using it. It also took enormous
amounts of time and subcontractor expense to convert our files properly.

I like Interleaf better than FrameMaker. The master index feature is great,
its
book-building capabilities are much better (I'll go into detail in private
email
if you want), and you have much more control over features
because of the component bar. For example, you can selection many components
at one time and copy them, change formatting on them, or move them, instead
of one at
a time as in FrameMaker. I also think WorldView has more and better features
than
Adobe Acrobat.

Krista

Krista Van Laan VeriSign, Inc.
Documentation Manager 1350 Charleston Road
kvanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com Mountain View, CA 94043
tel: (650) 429-5158 fax: (650) 961-7300