Wrestling with Cyrillic...

Subject: Wrestling with Cyrillic...
From: "Bayne, Sonia E B246" <Sonia -dot- Bayne -at- CIGNA -dot- COM>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:28:56 -0500

Respected Whirlers:
My son-in-law, a fine chap, is about to go to grad school and will be using
his basic Gateway with MS Word pc to type papers etc. in Russian. My
questions, posed on his behalf:

What is the best way to handle using a standard 104-key keyboard for a
different alphabet? What are the pitfalls? (I'm assuming there are some...)

Is there an overlay or template readily available?

Any websites you would recommend that deal with this kinda stuff? (I found a
few, but have no way to evaluate their quality or reliability.)

Is Word up to the task? Any caveats? (I'm sure there are better choices than
Word, but they're not in his limited budget.)

To avoid cluttering bandwidth, please respond directly: if the answers have
general interest, I will post a summary to the list.

Eric, apologies if this a bit OT -- but where else can I tap into the
knowledge base of such a diverse group?
Regards and TIA to y'all,
Sonia
Sonia E. Bayne
Marketing Communications, CIGNA HealthCare
sonia -dot- bayne -at- cigna -dot- com