RE: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?

Subject: RE: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?
From: "Habegger, Nolan" <nolan -dot- habegger -at- synertechllc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:43:26 -0600

<I am attempting to articulate the definitive baseline set of skills a
technical writer should have, apart from anything industry-specific. I'm
curious to survey what my colleagues think about this.>

Technical writers need the ability to comprehend the following undeniable
truths:

Not everyone in the company will appreciate the value you add to the
product/service.
Not everyone in the company will be as passionate about documentation as you
are.
The company will not always spend the money and time required for you become
a power user of the tools they provide.
The company will not always spend the money required to get me the tools you
want.
Not every SME will be happy to see you.
Not every technical writer will appreciate your editorial comments and style
revision recommendations.
No amount of appreciation, money, recoginition or resources can steal your
professionalism.

Nolan Habegger
Technical Communications Coordinator
Synertech Management Group, LLC
(mailto:nolan -dot- habegger -at- synertechllc -dot- com)