Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?

Subject: Re: Baseline Skillset for Technical Writers?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: hsmith -at- wt -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:53:13 PST

Horace Smith said:

Technical Writer is two words. If you aren't technical, how can you write about something technical? .....

Tony Markatos responds:

Easily. The primary thing that a TW has to do is to determine the essential end-user tasks accomplished with the product and how all of those tasks interrelate. The determination of the interrelationships is especially important.

You may have to know some stuff about technology; however, that is secondary. (In fact, a pretty good manual can often be written without any knowledge of the technology employed.)

Technical Writer is a poor name for our career field.