RE: Milestones and Microsoft Project et al.:

Subject: RE: Milestones and Microsoft Project et al.:
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: <JimGroark -at- aol -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:35:26 -0500

To All

I do not believe that 'efficiency' is a term that should be used in
addressing
'save' and 'save as'. They are actually two different functions.

It is important to understand what is actually happening (behind the scenes)
when you do a
'save' versus what is happening when you do a 'save as'.

The 'save' function just copies 'memory' (fast save) to your hard disk. It
includes all 'changes'/'modifications'
you have made to your 'document'/'file'. This means that you are placing a
large amount
of 'garbage' on your hard disk.

The 'save as' function actually does a form of 'garbage collection'
(deletion) and rebuilds your document.
So it is possible to have a smaller file size after you are done.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email are
mine and mine alone. They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or opinions of
any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I might belong
to."