Re: E-books and traditional books

Subject: Re: E-books and traditional books
From: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:08:59 -0800

Ah, the problems that happen because someone cut off the preceeding statement.
The earlier poster had said something about going to a bookstore for an
e-book. My comment makes a lot more sense in that light.

Marilynne

At 12:06 PM 1/10/00 , Mark Baker wrote:
>Marilynne Smith wrote:
>
>> Why go to a bookstore? Why not select the book from an online bookstore,
>then
>> either print it on your computer or have them send it to you? They can
>bill a
>> credit card.
>
>Because printing it on your own computer limits you to the printing and
>binding capabilities of you desktop printer. The bookstore can have a
>high-quality high-speed printing and binding machine.
>
>Because I don't want to wait for the book to be delivered.
>
>Because the bookstore model allows for an effective and enforceable
>licensing arrangement between the publisher and the bookstore. Direct
>personal download has a huge potential for piracy.
<snip>
>---
<the following is condensed to make Lyris happy>
>Mark Baker: Senior Technical Communicator
>OmniMark Technologies Corporation:1400 Blair Place

Marilynne Smith
Sr. Technical Writer
QUALCOMM
marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com