RE: Documentation Plan Template

Subject: RE: Documentation Plan Template
From: "Weiner, Kandis" <kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca>
To: "'Stepheni Norton'" <stephenin -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "'techwrl'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:38:12 -0500

Hello Stepheni,

I can't give you a template for a document plan, but I can give you some
ideas.

Joanne Hackos' book (who's name escapes me...) describes the document plan
process (she actually organizes the planning process towards the completion
of 2 deliverables, the information plan, and the project plan). A really
good resource, quite worth it. I believe it is a Wiley Technical
Communication series book...

Here are some of the things I try to include in my document plans (not a
complete list, mind you).

Description of the product, its goal/purpose, needs it is designed to meet
( you might include Engineering contacts: who will be working with you,
providing information; and engineering contingencies, like documentation has
to be available for beta test site by...)
Audience - who are the intended users.
General description of the tasks the (different) users will perform. (what
goals do the users have when they meet your product; what needs might they
have that have to be addressed in the info products)
Description of the "information products" (online help, user guide,
reference guide) that will be designed to meet the needs of the intended
users.
High-level outline of the information products (Hackos would do this
differently, but this is how we do it here...)
Page/Graphic and Time estimates
Contingencies: (Working version by xxx, code freeze by, those sorts of
things)

Anyway, a tad disorganized. HTH!

Kandis Weiner.
Technical Communicator - Positron Public Safety Systems
http://www.positron911.com
mailto:kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca