RE: Gathering edits from several people

Subject: RE: Gathering edits from several people
From: "Michelle Wolfe" <WOLFEM -at- bcbsil -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:28:39 -0600

Beth wrote:

<<1. All reviewers are given a hard copy and are asked to mark up all trouble
areas -- not necessarily with detailed notes; brief notes or even an X might
serve the purpose. (They like that, because they are not writers!)
2. The tech writer schedules a meeting. All reviewers bring their marked-up
copies to the meeting.
3. All present go through the document page by page -- "Anyone have anything
on page 1? Page 2?">>

I, too, have used this method, with one small change. I ask the reviewers to send me their marked-up copies prior to the meeting. I then go through the copies, identifying only those changes that require discussion. Many times there are spelling and gramatical errors that have been identified. I tell the reviewers that these will be fixed automatically.

At the meeting, each reviewer receives their copy back which has an OK stamp by those changes that were automatically implemented. This makes a much smaller list of revisions that need to be discussed and gets the whole team out of the "how to write this statement" discussions (which can sometimes bog the meeting down).

Michelle Wolfe
Training Consultant