RE: Interviewing writers = writing tests?

Subject: RE: Interviewing writers = writing tests?
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Geoff hart'" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:45:21 -0500

I find writing tests to be helpful--but I never require them until the
second (read last) interview, after I've checked references, and whittled
down the crop to one to three candidates who seem to be a good fit. And I
always notify candidates in job postings and phone screens that a writing
test is required. The content of which is subjective, but so's an
interview. The idea of providing a test that actually gives you something
you can use, and paying the interviewee for their time is one I never
thought of--thanks Geoff!

You use the tools at hand to do the best job you can hiring the right
person.

Connie Giordano