Re: FW: HTML file question

Subject: Re: FW: HTML file question
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: Kathi Jan Knill <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- level8 -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 11:10:31 -0500

Kathi Jan Knill wrote:

> Does anyone know of any batch script or utility that will search for words,
> etc. through multiple HTML files automatically? If you do, can you tell me
> where I'd get it?

On Unix, just use 'grep'. 'man grep' for the online manual.

Look at:
http://www.cygnus.com
for the cygwin utilities which give you all the Unix utilities for
Win 95/98/NT.

DOS has a much inferior utility called 'find'. I think it will do this.

Win 95/98/NT have a 'find' function on the 'startup' menu that will at
least tell you which files contain the word of interest.

The free Amaya editor/browser from w3.org has a 'make book' feature
that combines multiple HTML files into one large file. You could do
that, then search in the large file with your editor.

Likely the best way to do this on Windows would be to do a web search
for the Windows version of Perl. That gives you, free, a programming
language designed mainly for text manipulation, and access to a huge
collection of libraries. Then you have the tools for this and likely
for whatever comes up next.