Re: Help needed with terminology

Subject: Re: Help needed with terminology
From: "Chris Jackson" <crassick -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 16:33:41 -0500

>From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com>

>I need help with a specific term used in financial systems. I need to tell the
>user to enter a number is a specific format - and I know there is a term for
>this type of format. Here is an example:
>
>Enter the Consumer Price Index (CPI) number with a significance of 2, i.e.
>1.03.

I'm not a financial person, but couldn't you say

"Enter the Consumer Price Index (CPI) number to two decimal places, for
example, 1.03."

Question: If the number were 1.30, does the use have to enter the hundreds
place 0? If yes, then I would state this as well and give a second example.
And shouldn't it be "for example" rather than "that is"?

Chris Jackson
crassick -at- bellsouth -dot- net