RE: any cons to single sourcing?

Subject: RE: any cons to single sourcing?
From: "Hyde, Barb # IHTUL" <Barb -dot- Hyde -at- tulsa -dot- cistech -dot- com>
To: "'TechWriter'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:09:33 -0600

I can see the value of single sourcing to develop different online formats
(Help, HTML, etc.) However, not for help and paper. In addition to all the
development-side pitfalls pointed out in Mark Baker's post, there is a
consumer-side problem with single sourcing Help and paper. I have
personally #%$*%^*&#ed the economies that make this kind of single sourcing
attractive to developers.

Nothing is more frustrating than this scenario: I am learning to use a new
tool and need information. I look through the Help and other online
information, but don't find what I need. Then I turn to the paper guide only
to find it contains exactly the same material as the Help.
What is the point? Rather than spend the money for paper that doesn't say
anything new, just go with the online and tell your customers that's what
they get.