Re: tech writer to engineer ratio

Subject: Re: tech writer to engineer ratio
From: Scott & Bettina Wahl <wahl -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:57:29 -0500

Daniel,

The ratio we use at my company is roughly 10:1 engineers to technical writers.
Product testers aren't included in the engineering staff for this ratio. This is
a fairly agressive ratio - over time I think I would like us to move closer to
an 8:1 ratio. One thing to consider is whether the tech writing staff is
responsible for documentation only, or also training courses, usability, etc.

By the way, I believe this has been discussed before - check the techwr-l
archives. I've seen ratios as low as 6:1 but no lower.

/Scott