Re: tech writer to engineer ratio

Subject: Re: tech writer to engineer ratio
From: Daniel Shugrue <dbshugrue -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:19:12 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for all for participating. In all, I received
23 e-mails. The numbers broke down to:
1 Tech Writer: 9.4 engineers: 2.1 QA analysts

Reading the responses reminded me of several important
factors influencing the numbers, such as:
Is the Tech Writing group also responsible for
training?
Is the TW group doing HW or just SW writing?
Does TW group help with editing Marketing or other
copy?
Is TW group responsible for maintaining docs on
internet or intranet site?

I also found an archived message that had asked the
same question and had similiar results, the following
is pasted from that message:
"The answers to such a question always disclose
assumptions one should have stipulated and other
questions one should have asked, but all told this
question got pretty consistent results. A
writer:engineer ratio of 1:10 or 1:12 seems to be a
norm. Companies that we would prefer to be the
standard bearers come in with ratios like 1:4, 1:5,
and 1:7. At the other end, 1:20 is pretty common, and
unhappy 1:50 situations exist. "
from
http://listserv.okstate.edu/CGI/WA.EXE?A2=ind9607A&L=techwr-l&P=R668

Thanks and regards,