I'm concerned ...

Subject: I'm concerned ...
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:16:16 -0700

.. about this list.

Sure, some list members are just now considering tech writing careers, but
what about those of us already in it? Frankly, I'm tired of talking about
the education I should have had (BA vs. BS degrees, ... Worthless TC
Degrees, ... ad nauseum) and am much more interested in ...

continuing education.

And this isn't it.

This, in contrast, is:
http://webreview.com/pub/2000/03/10/feature/index4.html

Excerpts ...

Write Good Copy
Writing Like a Tough Guy
.. get someone in your office with a feel for language to look over your
work
The most important part of an article or site section is the beginning
One technique upon which the jury is still out is whether to split a longer
article into two or more parts
Hit it With All You've Got

We could discuss this stuff here. We could learn something

Two (that was one)

I'm so old I can't remember who it was that taught me to think (and it may
have been as much heredity as environment), but I think I can and I think we
should think about the concept "new economy." Maybe the concept is fairly
well defined here:
http://www.business2.com/articles/2000/03/content/feature_2.html I think
"Framemaker vs. Word" is "old economy" and "Effective Writing for the Web"
is "new economy." Which is this list? What do you think? Why do so few
posts here have links in them?

Three

Too much "us vs. them" on this list. "This education teaches you to think,
that one doesn't." "Worthless degrees." "My boss is (1) a liar or (2)
micromanaging me." Elvis said it: "We can't go on together with suspicious
minds." That's #29 of the 95 theses from the Cluetrain Manifesto--something
we ought to be discussing here. http://www.cluetrain.com/ It's up our
alley (so to speak).

If you get digest mode and count, you'll see that yesterday's digest had 17
(seventeen!) posts "Average Length of TW Resume." Not my idea of exciting
continuing education. Kind of average. Can we go on together somewhere
else?