Re: Maybe We (Don't) Need a New Job Title

Subject: Re: Maybe We (Don't) Need a New Job Title
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:22:14 -0700

John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com> wrote:

>I think we're allowed one amen post annually, aren't we? This
is mine. And I
>think last year's was on the same subject the last time it came
around.

Maybe it has something to do with financial year end and salary
reviews? :-)

For myself (to repeat the unexpectedly garbled post I attempted
yesterday), I've been called a technical writer, a technical
communicator (with each one qualified by junior, intermediate,
and senior), documentation writer, publications manager,
communications director, product manager and simply "hey you."
Except for product manager (which obviously us more duties), i
never noticed that the title made a single bit of difference to
what I did, how it was regarded or my pay.

Work's work. It doesn't really matter who does it.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux

"To Newgate Jail they took him, the Ranters' dream was dead,
He had no taste for martyrdom, 'I will recant,' he said,
'I banished sin, but I have erred, it cannot be denied,
That these are sins: greed, tyranny, hypocrisy, and pride.'"
-Leon Rosselson, "Abezier Coppe"