RE: On Summer Help

Subject: RE: On Summer Help
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'winday -at- home -dot- com'" <winday -at- home -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:12:32 -0600

re: I may have missed something here, but what in the thread so far had ANY

cultural implications?

Initiation? Hazing? Starting an intern off on simple,
non-mission-critical projects is common sense, not hazing.

etc.

..

How about ...

"Just mundane chores, or would you let them edit a few sentences here and
there?"

How about ...

"It may be tempting to pawn off some scut work on this poor student, and I
say go right ahead."

How about ...

"I was really lucky ... "

How about ...

"You can't expect someone to produce quality work when they have no clue
what it is
like to even be in a work environment."

How about ...

etc.

"Conventional thinking" and "common sense" are quite often confused.
There's a difference. Common sense is directly proportional to knowledge,
including knowledge of cultural issues. The more you learn, the more your
"common sense" changes. "Conventional thinking" requires little knowledge
and little experience and seldom changes. I don't find demeaning folks to
fall in the realm of common sense. And it's not required to make a point.
And it's effect and hardly intent that counts.