Purchasing software as an independent contractor

Subject: Purchasing software as an independent contractor
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l digest recipients <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:54:48 -0700

anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:

>I am new to independent consulting and have a question for all the
>telecommuting independent contractors out there. Do you purchase all the
>software you need to complete projects for clients, or does the client
>provide some or all of it for you?

It depends on the software, the length of the project, and
whether I'll be telecommuting. If I might find the software
useful later, or if I'll be telecommuting, I often want to have
my own copy. On the other hand, for a short contract, a company
may not want to spend the money on, say, FrameMaker.

> If you do purchase the software
>yourself, do you take this into consideration when you give your hourly
>rates?

You can try to negotiate anything. You might add an expenses item
to your invoice that includes the software.

Also, you can write off the software as a business expense. At
least, you can in Canada; I imagine it's the same in other
countries.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
"The Open Road" column, Maximum Linux