Re: FrameMaker: Table of Figures question

Subject: Re: FrameMaker: Table of Figures question
From: Hedley Finger <hedley -dot- finger -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: etymes -at- lts -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 10:13:38 +1000

Steve and Elna:

You are both almost correct. See below ...

> > {...] I had to generate a Table of Figures. In the
> > chapters the figures are caption with the numbering format: C:Figure
> > <n>< >< >< >.<n=1> (or n+1 for the subsequent figures). The Autonumber
> > Format for the Table style is: F:Figure <n=1>. (or n+1, for subsequent
> > entries, and when I Generate the Table, it comes out looking like this:
>
> > Figure 1. Caption .... page #
> > Figure 2. Caption .... page #
> > etc.
> > What I need to have happen, however, is for the Table of Figures to
> > display the 'proper' figure numbering, i.e.
>
> > Figure 1.1 Caption .... page #
>
> [...] Where you saw:
>
> C:Figure<n>< >< >< >.<n=1> (or n+1 for the subsequent figures).
>
> you need to change Figure Caption for each chapter to
>
> C:Figure 1.<n>< >< >< >.<n=1> (or n+1 for the subsequent figures)
>
> for Chapter 1,
>
> C:Figure 2.<n>< >< >< >.<n=1> (or n+1 for the subsequent figures)
>
> for Chapter 2, etc.

Let's point out your errors so the following discussion makes sense.

First, you should avoid hard coding numbers into paragraph format. So
where Elna suggested that the FigureTitle autonumber format should be
"C:Figure 1.<n>", etc., you immediately have the problem that if you
update paragraph formats across a book, all FigureTitle paragraphs will
have to have their autonumber formats re-specified.

Second, Steve appears to be saying that the FigureTitleLOF para format
in the list of Figures (LoF) file has an autonumber format set to
"Figure <n+>". Para formats with a TOC, LOF, or LOT suffix in a
generated file (table of Contents [TOC], list of Figures [LOF], or list
of Tables [LOT]) SHOULD NOT HAVE an autonumber format.

A discussion of how to set up autonumber formats is at the end of the
chapter "Formatting Text" in the Using Adobe FrameMaker manual, which I
recap below.

Suppose the following paragraph formats in a ChapterFour.fm file, all
with autonumber formats. The autonumber formats can be set up in a
matrix:

Para Format Num Flow Ch Num Sec Num Sub Num Fig Num Tab Num Notes
============ ======== ====== ======= ======= ======= ======= =====
ChapterTitle C: <n+> < =0> < =0> < =0> < =0> (1)
SectionHead C: <n> .<n+> < =0> < > < > (2)
SubSectHead C: <n> .<n> .<n+> < > < > (3)
FigureTitle C: <n> < > < > .<n+> < > (4)
TableTitle C: <n> < > < > < > .<n+> (5)

(1) <n+> starts or increments the chapter number at the beginning of a
new chapter, and resets all the other counters to zero.
(2) <n> repeats the chapter number, .<n+> starts or increments the
section number, < =0> zeros the subsection number, < > repeats but HIDES
the figure and table numbers.
(3) <n> repeats the chapter and section numbers, .<n+> starts or
increments the subsection number, < > repeats but HIDES the figure and
table numbers.
(4) <n> repeats the chapter number, .<n+> starts or increments the
figure number, < > repeats but HIDES the section, subsection, and table
numbers.
(5) <n> repeats the chapter number, .<n+> starts or increments the table
number, < > repeats but HIDES the section, subsection, and figure
numbers.

In the MyVeryOwn.book file, click on each chapter file and choose File >
Set Up File. In the Prefix box, type "1\=", "2\=", "3\=", "4\=", etc.
for each of the corresponding chapters. This causes the page number to
appear as "4-48" with a non-breaking hyphen in all generated files: TOC,
LOF, and LOT.

In the MyVeryOwnLOF.fm generated file, on the LOF reference page you
should have the following builder paragraph with a FigureTitleLOF para
format, corresponding to the FigureTitle para format in the source
chapter files:

Figure <$paranumonly>\t<$paratext>\t<$pagenum>
[\t inserts a tab or press the Tab key at these points]

In the Basic tab of the Para Designer set up suitable tab stops for the
FigureTitleLOF format so you generate something like:

Figure 4.5 What I did on my holidays .................. 4-48

You can insert char format builders to dress this up a bit:

<Bold>Figure <$paranumonly>\t<Default Para
Font><$paratext><Italic>\t<$pagenum>

Incidentally, for FrameMaker problems, subscribe to the framers lists.
Send this message, without a signature or other addenda, to the
addresses below:
subscribe framers your -at- preferred -dot- email -dot- address
help
end

*** Laidback framers ***
<mailto:majordomo -at- omsys -dot- com?Subject=subscribe%20framers>

*** Uptight framers ***
<mailto:majordomo -at- frameusers -dot- com?Subject=subscribe%20framers>

--
[FrameMaker 5.5.6, Acrobat 3.02, Windows 98, HP OmniBook 2100]

Regards,
Hedley Finger Technical Writer

Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229 Cell. +61 412 461 558 Fax. +61 3 9809 1326
Email. hfinger -at- handholding -dot- com -dot- au