Re: FrameMaker: Table of Figures question

Subject: Re: FrameMaker: Table of Figures question
From: Stephen Martin <stpats -at- storm -dot- ca>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 00:16:19 -0400

First of all, thanks to all who responded.

Hedley Finger wrote:

> Let's point out your errors so the following discussion makes sense.

> First, you should avoid hard coding numbers into paragraph format.

Perhaps "stylistic differences" would be a better choice of words here.
I agree with you anyways, just as I didn't want to have to create the
list by hand, which is what my 'boss' (who supposedly knows Frame), had
suggested I do. <sigh>

> Second, Steve appears to be saying ... has an autonumber format set
> to "Figure <n+>". Para formats ... SHOULD NOT HAVE an autonumber

Correct in the first part. One thing I should have made clear was that
I had no part in creating the para formats, just debugging them.

> A discussion of how to set up autonumber formats is at the end of the
> chapter "Formatting Text" in the Using Adobe FrameMaker manual, which
> I recap below.

Thanks, the other thing I should have made clear was that the only form
of manual I've got on hand is Adobe's Classroom in a Book: FrameMaker
5.5, and the online help. As I'm just at the first draft stage I may go
for the quick and dirty and the clean it up for the final.

> Incidentally, for FrameMaker problems, subscribe to the framers lists.

Actually I rejoined framers(@frameuser.com) just prior to re-joining

Thus far I've only seen responses from techwr-l. I guess techwr-l'ers
are a more dedicated breed. <g>