Re: terminology software

Subject: Re: terminology software
From: "Etienne Cornu" <etienne -at- chamblon -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 08:44:45 -0300

Micaela Kayser wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> Before I get stoned: I did my homework and checked the Archive before
posting, and all I
> came up with was a message containing exactly what I want to ask, but no
"Re's" to it!
> Maybe I didn't look properly, but at this point I have the feeling I'm
already cross-eyed!
> My question is if any of you know of a good tool to extract a terminology
from existing
> documents, that will then allow me to edit the terms AND add a translation
to them.
> I would like a tool that I can feed all the relevant documents into, and
it will spit out
> the terminology. The problem is that these tools normally compare youre
documents to a
> background lexicon and make a list of words not contained in that lexicon.
But what about
> composed terms?
> I would like a super tool that can do just everything one can possibly
dream of doing with
> a terminology! But I guess "dream" is the keyword here!! :)
>
> If there's any tools, or sites (except Znet which I've checked already)
you can recommend,
> I would be grateful!

I believe that you will find TerminologyExtractor interesting.

Chamblon Systems Inc has developed a tool for extracting word lists and
collocations, with frequencies, from MS Word, HTML and plain text documents.
This tool uses exclusion lists and converts plurals and conjugated verbs
into singulars and infinitives in English and French texts before
processing, which produces very good results. Check the web site at
www.chamblon.com for more information. There, you will be able to see a full
description of the product, view the user's guide and examples, and download
a demo copy of the tool.

Etienne

P.S. This message was posted with the permission of Eric Ray.

Etienne Cornu, Docteur ès Lettres (etienne -at- chamblon -dot- com)
Chamblon Systems Inc. http://www.chamblon.com
40 Wentworth Ave, Cambridge ON, N1S 1G6, Canada
(519) 622-6527