RE: terminology question: pointer vs. cursor

Subject: RE: terminology question: pointer vs. cursor
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Barb Einarsen'" <barb -dot- einarsen -at- gnnettest -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:39:26 -0400

Barb,

Many windows-based software applications provide at least two ways of doing
things, one by keyboarding, one by point-and-click. To be thorough,
accurate, and address the needs of users who prefer one method over the
other, the Technical Communicator should be documenting mouse and keyboard
procedures, if both exist.

Another example: If you are documenting an application for users who are not
Windows literate, you may also need to be very specific about when to use
the mouse, and when to use the keyboard. I have a large sector of users who
have only mainframe green screen orientation. Many of them don't have
computers at home. Try explaining how to scroll in a browser to somebody
who's never used a mouse-but who understands the concept of cursor, tab key
and enter key. These are not stupid people, just people who have been used
to doing things in the mainframe world for a long time. Audience analysis
and usability testing can bring these issues to light, but it's a shorter
production cycle if you know that up front.

MTC

Connie Giordano