RE: Tech Writer screening questions

Subject: RE: Tech Writer screening questions
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:11:54 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Hightower, Mary [mailto:mary -dot- hightower -at- corp -dot- bellsouth -dot- net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 11:13 AM
To: TECHWR-L

I wouldn't discourage asking about hobbies and other activities.

It may make some interviewee's uncomfortable, but there are benefits to
asking. My reason for asking would be to get a better feel for how well
they will fit in with the group.

------------------
Even though I may share certain interests or hobbies with people in my group
doesn't mean that our personalities will mesh or that we'll spend much time
pursuing our common interests together. :) It's nice when co-workers hit
it off and form close friendships, but the main reason we're together every
day is to get work done.

Then again, if I won't be accepted easily by the rest of the writing team if
I don't make it a point to join them for golf or happy hour every week,
that might be something I'd want to know up front as an interviewee!

I guess it can go both ways.

Megan E. Rock
Technical Writer
Product Information
megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com

All views expressed are entirely my own and are not necessarily shared
by my friends, co-workers, or employer.