RE: TW Screening Questions

Subject: RE: TW Screening Questions
From: "Rock, Megan" <Megan -dot- Rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:32:45 -0400

Elizabeth Ross said that she was hired for her current position, in part,
because of one of her hobbies: ham radio. The fact that she taught the
licensing course for two years demonstrated her knowledge of basic
electronic principles, which is what set her apart from other technical
writers with software-only experience.

I would include a hobby like that on my resume', especially if I thought
that it was relevant to the position I was applying for and would set me
apart or give me an edge. A hobby like that (knowledge of electronics and
the ability to teach that knowledge to others) does incorporate skills that
would be beneficial in many technical writing departments. It seems to me
that it could be included in the Related Skills section of a resume' pretty
easily, without needing to point out that it's a "hobby."

Megan E. Rock
Technical Writer
Product Information
megan -dot- rock -at- fanucrobotics -dot- com

All views expressed are entirely my own and are not necessarily shared
by my friends, co-workers, or employer.