Re: TW Screening Questions

Subject: Re: TW Screening Questions
From: "Jan Stanley" <janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:24:53 -0400

>N.B. I was hired for my current position, in part,
>because of one of my hobbies: ham radio.

I would suggest that you were hired, in part, not because of your
*hobby*, but because of your *knowledge*. Yes, you may have
developed that knowledge through practicing the hobby, but what's
important is that you have it, not where or how you got it.

An appropriate question to ask of interviewees might be "Do you
have any special knowledge that would contribute to your ability
to do the job?", not "What are your hobbies?"

Cheers,
Jan
janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net