Re: MS Agent

Subject: Re: MS Agent
From: Jeff Hanvey <jewahe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Azileretsis Y <azileretsis -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:00:45 -0700 (PDT)

> What do you guys think? Is it user friendly or is
> it
> a step backward in usability?

I have mixed feelings about the agent. "Clippy" can be
a comfort to new users...with help being right there
on your screen.

However, I usually turn him off...his responses have
rarely been helpful, and I end up hunting through the
endless help>index feature looking for what I want
(Mostly because if I need help with something, I don't
know the terminology and have to find out what the
writers were thinking). I think that turns out to be
the biggest problem, since he operates on keywords.

Also, he takes up valuable screen space on my small
15-inch monitor (at home). At work, I have a nice
21-inch, so I don't have so much problem with space.

My final analysis? Well, Clippy is a nice front for
the help feature. But I'd rather just have the option
on the tool bar rather than having a screen-hogging
distraction in my face.

=====
Jeff Hanvey
Memphis, TN