work instructions for ISO compliance RE printing

Subject: work instructions for ISO compliance RE printing
From: Donna Horowitz <horowit -at- en -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:38:03 -0400

We were ISO certified about a year ago, and we have an ongoing need to write various procedures for posterity.

The latest is a request for me to document how we deal with the printing service. This arose from the manufacturing division's suggestion that they could be the interface with the printer because "all you do is send them the electronic file, and any problems go away." (I really wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry when I read that statement; ultimately, I did both.)

After several discussions and offers of proof, I have convinced our VPs that the publications people need to be the interface with the printer on manuals. Now, because the procedure was raised, our VP of engineering wants me to write the procedure for dealing with the printer/s. I have discussed with him the complexities, but he thinks we should do it in a nutshell--"no big deal, just a basic procedure."

I have begun to summarize the communication process required rather than the specifics which are voluminous when you consider the multitude of jobs.

If anyone has created a procedure (or advice) and doesn't mind sharing it, I'd be most grateful.

--

Hectic but free
no other way to be

Donna M. Horowitz