Re: Salary?

Subject: Re: Salary?
From: Alan M Hegarty <alan -dot- hegarty -at- prs -dot- de>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:37:04 +0200

> > The one local salaried tech writer I know is making $60,000, but I will
> > grant that he's a good negotiator.

The grass always seems to be greener....but i would ask exactly what and how much that
person has to do, which tools are being used..etc...The good paying jobs are out there
and they come with their demands.

Being a good negotiator helps in many things, but it's no cure all. Alot depends on
the company's position to the tech-writing activities, they have their budgets.

Whether on salary or as contractor, it's always matter of how you make your case and
sell yourself (for lack of better words), regardless of the field your in. ...I
believe the common mistake is to believe that one is irreplaceable... The argument was
simply put to me that the so-and-so much was allocated <period>. To earn more, I'd
have to produce more and do more regular overtime (not that i don't already) which
would justify a pay raise.

Talk to the boss about the job description, ask what you'd have to do to earn
more..(This greatly depends on the company, personality etc..; there are cases where i
would not recommend this at all) but if the boss is half-way reasonable, s/he can
understand, we all want to earn a few more sheckels....put a plan in motion, take the
initiative...When it's a no-go and you feel your not getting your share of the pie,
find the job you want and the pay you want...Life is way too short to feel underpaid
and used... If you find something and/or the chiefy gets wind and realizes you're
bugging out, s/he may think twice..and when not, then leave..no regrets, the grass
will
be greener..

cheers,
alan

Alan M Hegarty Phone: +49-(0)6 11-17 31-6 14
Patzschke + Rasp Software AG Fax: +49-(0)6 11-17 31-31
Bierstadter Str. 7 email to: alan -dot- hegarty -at- prs -dot- de
D-65189 Wiesbaden Web Site: http://www.prs.de