Re: Printing from Word using DocuTech systems

Subject: Re: Printing from Word using DocuTech systems
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:50:01 PDT

From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Subject: Printing from Word using DocuTech systems
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 10:29:55 -0400

The user manuals I've produced for two of our products (in Word97 <shudder>)
contain many screenshots, which means they photocopy really badly. We aren't
printing enough copies to make it worthwhile to go with offset printing, so
Docutech seems to be the most likely compromise solution. Since I'm
attempting this for the first time, I'm looking for advice on how best to
prepare the files. I've seen recommendations to send PDF, to send a
Postscript printer file created with a Docutech printer driver, and to
simply send along the Word file and let the printer deal with it (the
recommendation of my current service bureau). I really don't much like the
last option, since there will be considerable unpleasantness if the printer
has a different version of the Windows fonts than the ones we're using--I
don't even want to think about all the problems with line breaks and mangled
symbol characters. Which brings me back to the notion of using PDF or
Postscript instead.

My last service bureau preferred Postscript files created with a Docutech prrinter driver, and even got me a Docutech driver to make it possible. I wouldn't ever go with a .doc file again, for all the reasons you cite. Page breaks came out wrong, the font was the same but their "Normal.dot" apparently set it to a different size. Graphics hopped all over the place, even when I'd finally nailed them down.

I do .PDF for distribution on the customer CD, but .prn for the printer.

Just my tuppence ha'penny,

Cheers,

Maggie Secara

http://communities.msn.com/NutmiggsGinger