RE: So...how do I break into tech writing?

Subject: RE: So...how do I break into tech writing?
From: "Susan Ahrenhold" <sahrenhold -at- winspc -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:22:43 -0400

I think this thread is a perfect example of why humor often doesn't work in
tech writing.

I suspect that anyone over 40 knows enough about life in the workplace to
not communicate in this style, unless they are trying to make a joke.

Lighten up, people!

Given that:
The most important thing you can do is to have some samples under your belt
before going out to interview. You can do this in several ways:

You can do some documentation as a project in a tech communications course.
I have been interviewing new writers lately, and this is a good source of
examples of how you organize your thoughts, how you put them down on paper,
and the way you express yourself.

Some tech communication professors can offer internships -- an opportunity
for you to work in a real-life company that's interested in this type of
learning.

You can volunteer to work on a freeware project -- this has been discussed
several times; there are a number of organizations that can use good
documentation.

Join the local chapter of STC, and introduce yourself to people as a student
who will be interested in marketing yourself soon.

Go to a temporary agency that works with tech companies, and see if they
have any need for temporary help that you can meet. Work hard, do a good
job, and let everyone there know what you are interested in doing. Even if
they aren't hiring, somebody's significant other may be!