RE: Writing / Drug Tests

Subject: RE: Writing / Drug Tests
From: "Newman, Sarah" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:04:17 -0500

> Is pre-employment DNA testing next? The logic is the same since a company
> could claim it has increased medical benefits costs if an employee has a
> genetic marker for a particular disease.

For a dramatic example of how far that could go, see the movie "Gattaca." It
concerns a future world in which the majority of people are DNA-enhanced,
and people with unenhanced DNA are discrimated against to an extreme.

As part of the promotional campaign, they put up billboards advertising DNA
enhancement. "Build the perfect baby" or something like that. The sad thing
is,
thousands of would-be parents called 1-800-GATTACA because they wanted the
service.

Sarah Newman
Technical Writing Group
Bechtel