Re: usability/usage: preposition to use when referring to window, pag e, or tab

Subject: Re: usability/usage: preposition to use when referring to window, pag e, or tab
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:19:36 -0500

At 11:03 AM 10/31/2000 -0600, Cummings, Elizabeth wrote:

My question: What is the best/appropriate/standard preposition to use to
start off the line?

1. "From the X tab, do Y." [Leave as is.]

2. "On the X tab, do Y."

3. "[Other preposition] the X tab, do Y."

This is entirely a matter of opinion and consistency, and therefore the answers you receive on this list are kind of irrelevant. Any stylistic issue depends on two things: your personal style/preference, and the corporate style in place at your organization.

I would personally write "on the X tab," which matters only because I'm the entire documentation department here and my opinion, therefore, *is* the corporate doc style. At a larger organization, or if I ever get the style guide written, the style guide rules.

For matters of writing style, where the only wrong answer is one that obscures meaning, I'd suggest you consult these two sources (your preference and your corporate style) rather than this list, but that's just my opinion.

Hope this helps,
----->Mike

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful translation management" at http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw.