Framemaker Printing Problem

Subject: Framemaker Printing Problem
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 08:27:42 -0500

Hi folks...
I hope this doesn't constitute not thinking for myself [ ;-) ], but I've
been struggling over the last few days to find a solution to a printing
problem I'm having. And now I'm down to the wire and desperate.

I'm printing from Framemaker 5.5.6p145 on Windows NT 4.0.1381. I
unfortunately can't tell you much about the printers to which I've tried
printing. I simply don't know how to tell whether they're postscript, etc.
(And I have tried a couple of different printers.)

I'm printing a Framemaker book file containing about 15 files of varying
sizes. They're pretty simple files containing a maximum of three fonts but
lots of screenshots. The screenshots are mostly Windows Metafiles. (Yes,
very bad ... I know. But I lost that fight.)

The problem is that three of the 15 files do not print correctly. The first
5 or 6 pages of each file print fine, but the rest of the pages are almost
blank. They'll have one tiny half-inch square of printing on a page. That's
it. Nothing else.

The files look beautiful on the screen. They were all created in basically
the same manner on the same computer.

Also... when I try to PDF the files, the PDF on-screen looks exactly the
same as the bad printed version. Same little squares on the last pages of
the doc. I had upgraded to Acrobat 4.0 some time ago, and thought perhaps
that had something to do with it. I tried uninstalling Acrobat and
reinstalling 3.0 from the Framemaker CD. That didn't help. I also have Adobe
Illustrator, Photoshop and Pagemaker on my machine. I'm wondering if there
are any conflicts there.

Adobe's web site offered a few suggestions, which I'm going to try this
morning. However, I thought I'd go ahead and send this while I'm working on
them in the hopes that someone else had already encountered a similar
problem and solved it. I'm nearing a deadline and really do not have the
time to fight with my computer all day again today. (I've already spent the
last two days doing so.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Dannette

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230