RE: Acrobat ColorSpace Error

Subject: RE: Acrobat ColorSpace Error
From: Dave Neufeld <Dave_Neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:48:10 -0800

> But bookmark navigation is not required by the printer. Why
> not create one with
> bookmarks for use as an interactive release copy and another
> through distiller
> for the printer to use.
>
> Eric L. Dunn

It was considered, but we prefer to release only one PDF to "the world".
This PDF follows a naming convention that provides document number, rev
level, and an abbreviated title.

Once released, the PDF is distributed to:
-Our intranet/network for general internal use
-Our corporate website for customer use
-Specific customers via email by sales people (who would email anything they
can get...)
-Our Document Control departemnt for corporate archival and ISO compliance
-Our Technical Support Group 'cause they're "special"!
-Our printer vendor for archival and production of hardcopy

We have a lot of short-run publication documents that are frequently
updated. Consistent, simple, and robust version control is very important.
Producing a "special" PDF just for our printer -- to fix a temporary (I
hope) glitch with their system -- is quite a headache. TWO PDFs would exist
"out there" that have the same part/version number. This is not workable
with items under an inventory system, and is just plain bad business.

A far less painful way is to simply have the printer print the documents on
his LaserWriter and copy them the old fashioned way. (This is what many
printers do wtih PDFs that are emailed to them; not all of them have
expensive digital presses like a Docutech or Minolta.)

It's not ideal, but it's close. Just as long as the doc doesn't contain any
complex gray shade combinations or low contrast bitmap photos (which should
be avoided for this type of media, anyhow). The printer can also optimize
the LaserWriter and Xerox settings to get the best results, which is still
better than printing the masters in house and couriering them to the printer
vendor. This way avoids the potential consequences and admin hassle of
producing 2 PDFs.

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230