Expert Systems and Modeling survey

Subject: Expert Systems and Modeling survey
From: "John Locke" <mail -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:28:52 -0800

Hello,

I'm curious. How many techwhirlers out there work with expert systems?

I spent 2 years as a knowledge engineer (yes, that's more than just a fancy
name for a tech writer) modeling software/hardware problems for a Bayesian
Belief Network, which is a type of expert system. Since then, I've been
exposed to state machines and backwards-inferencing expert systems in
completely different industries (telecommunications and healthcare).

I'm looking for examples of expert systems that are currently implemented
and working. From research, I've found about 30 different expert system
shells that provide a framework for building an actual expert system. The
knowledge engineer analyzes the problem, creates a model, and implements it
in the expert system.

How many of you do this? If you have been exposed to these types of
technology, I'd appreciate it if you could take a few moments and send me
your feedback. I'll be happy to compile the results, if anyone's interested.

Questions:

What problems are you using expert systems to address?

What type(s) of expert system does your company use? What vendor?

As a technical writer, what is your role in creating knowledge bases/models
for the expert system?

How effective is the expert system in your company? Has it been worth
implementing? Would you recommend it for other companies?

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

John Locke
http://www.freelock.com