Re: Word Help (problem solved)

Subject: Re: Word Help (problem solved)
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:10:27 -0800

No, you are NOT being a pain.

My cry for the year 2000 is maintainability. If you don't use the tool
properly, it does not matter how well you write. I can't afford you. Because
when you are done, the next person to pick up your project has to fix what
you did before they can do anything else. I cannot afford that. No one can.
Our client simply do not have that much time in their schedules.

One quiet Friday afternoon, I got a resume in email. I opened it and found
that the writer didn't understand formats, setting margins, etc in Word.
Generally, I just delete and go on. But it was quiet and I was in a teaching
mood, I guess. I actually fixed the resume and sent it back to the fellow
explaining what I did, how formats worked, and why they are a good idea. I
got a scathing and snotty reply, telling me that it didn't look any
different after I was done with it so what was the big deal. I sent a very
pleasant explanation back, explaining about being able to maintain
documents - I must have been really bored. I got back a note that I was the
only person of over 200 he sent it to that complained - I didn't have the
heart to tell him that is because the other 199 simply deleted - and that he
didn't see the problem and that I was obviously suffering from too much
estrogen. Believe it or not. Then he put me on a very active prayer list he
maintained.

Nice guy. Sexist comments and then refused to remove me from his list.
Needless to say, he would not have been a team player and I would have never
hired him under any circumstances. I must have too much estrogen...

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org