Re: The Business of Conferences

Subject: Re: The Business of Conferences
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:01:34 -0600

Once again we are subjected to an antagonistic spate of hyperbole from a
trolling Plato...how tiresome!

(much of it snipped)

Andrew replied to George Hayhoe:

> If STC is an all volunteer group, then why can't I be a member for FREE!
Why
> can't my membership dues be volunteered as well?
>
> Why not raise the registration fee for all the regular conference
attendees so
> you can let the speakers in for free?

If you read George's original message, he does not say STC is "an all
volunteer group" but he does mention that the CONFERENCES are arranged by
volunteers (usually the STC chapter in which the conference is held).

Membership dues pay for both monthly and quarterly publications, awards,
scholarships, and a multitude of other expenses. I think there may be some
full-time staff who must coordinate the business of the national
organization and further the professional goals of the organization.

> STC is a racket. It is predominantly wage slaves who get their employers
> pay. As such STC does not accurately represent tech writing because
many
> independents, like myself, want nothing to do with STC.

Hardly. The Consulting and Independent Contractor group (CIC SIG) is
extremely active and filled with extremely competent independents. You
have just insulted a large group of people...and no, I'm not a member of
CIC. I am a lowly "wage slave" although my employer doesn't pay....I do...
for conferences.

> STC is disrespected professional society from its own members.

I *AM* a long-time STC member, however, and just because I disagree with
the speaker policy does not mean that I "disrespect" STC. In fact, even
non-members in this discussion have not used that term, only that they
personally do not see the benefit of membership.

> Personally, I think the entire organization should be dismantled and all
the
> officers removed. It should then be reconstituted with a new mission and
proper
> leadership. But, I sure ain't going to do it. I have docs to write.

What should the "new mission" be? To make everyone learn programming (your
favorite mantra)? Who would "proper leadership" be? You? Thank God you
"ain't"!

Jane Bergen