re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:51:32 -0700

re: Being part of a team of writers , etc.

Hard for persons who write to answer this one. The procedure is too short.
(Too much is left unsaid.)

Almost by definition tech writing is always a team effort, with usually at
minimum a writer and a subject matter expert and a customer. And often the
SME may act as if he or she is one of the writers. Maybe the customer too.
(Fine and applaudable in both instances.) That's probably not what's
intended by the question. It still depends, however. If the project is so
big and the time is so short ... of course I'd like to have other writers on
the team. But not if it's not necessary and is just an attempt to keep
everyone busy or for appearances. But then again peer review is always
welcome and desired. And if this time "team" means providing OJT for a
newbie ... well, that can be a problem. Shame to lump all this stuff under
"other/none of the above."

Interesting technique ... unanswerable question, but good stimulator of
discusion. Wait, I get it now ... it's a discussion deal!