Controlling basic text in an e-mail newsletter

Subject: Controlling basic text in an e-mail newsletter
From: dkephart -at- PRAUSA -dot- COM
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 6:51:56

We publish a newsletter by e-mail. At this time, we do not have the option
of posting it on our website and providing a link, and we don't feel
sending an attached document will be as well received by our audience. We
are having trouble with simple punctuation characters such as apostrophes,
quote marks and commas being transformed into odd characters, lines, etc.
when we transmit the information. We have had two successful broadcasts,
and then a horrible looking one last week. We do not put any formatting
such as bold or italics in the text; we do not include any graphics or
oversized type. As far as I can tell, we are using the same characters as
other newsletters I receive. We have been using Courier. We send from
Lotus Notes.

Can anyone suggest a font or standard we should be using to prevent this
from happening? Any suggestions would be welcome -- our next one is
scheduled to go this week.

Doreen Kephart
PRA Marine City, MI
810-765-1181