SUMMARY: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?

Subject: SUMMARY: For those who hire... what makes a resume stand out?
From: Christine -dot- Anameier -at- seagate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:53:20 -0500

Thanks for your responses, everyone. Lots of solid advice, which I'll
summarize here for posterity:

* Show that you're technically inclined (if you come from a humanities
background) or able to write (if you're a techie).

* Keep the resume neat and well-formatted, but not flashy (no wild colors,
not too many different fonts).

* Proofread. Proofread. Proofread.

* Give details relevant to the work you're looking for, not just a generic
job history. Tailor your resume to the specific job you're applying for.
Don't lift whole phrases from "101 Resumes for Dummies."

* Be positive and enthusiastic. Avoid hyperbole and don't be pompous.

* Where appropriate, include the buzzwords HR is looking for.

* Focus on what you can offer the employer, not what you want from the
employer.

Sounds like my resume's on the right track. (Guess I should've known that;
it's worked well for me so far. It's just that the current job market is
making me nervous.)

The interesting thing, to me, is that so many of the responses were about
how to keep your resume from getting pitched into the circular file right
away. What I meant to ask was: what makes a resume leap off the pile of
pretty-good resumes that remains after the bad ones are pitched? And
there's probably no universal answer to that one. Maybe there isn't a pile
of resumes left after the first pass; maybe *most* resumes are dull,
sloppy, generic, or riddled with typos. Maybe surviving the resume bozo
filter is half the battle. :)

Christine

p.s. -- regarding another thread that's going on right now: do end users
really need to know the term "ASCII" anyhow?