RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers

Subject: RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers
From: "Nutting, John" <JNutting -at- taylor-hobson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:22:17 +0100

>>>If you were to list the five most stressful aspects of being a technical
writer (from most to least stressful), what items would you list?<<<

1. Managers who can't manage
2. Non-writers who try to tell you how to write
3. Colleagues who want you to hold their hand for them rather than dive
in and learn something.
4. Trying to think about five stressful aspects of being a technical
writer.

Tight deadlines, high pressure, no information, etc no hassle, that is what
makes the hours fly. They are a fact of life in any job and quite frankly
not worth breaking into a sweat over. The more you panic, the harder things
become and the more mistakes you make. A few hours spent planning at the
front end before diving in has surprising results on the time it takes to
complete the task.

>>>Are there any specific strategies you use to cope with work stress?<<<

1. Learn to laugh at yourself, others do so why not join them?
2. Stop feeling so self important, you are a small cog in a larger
machine and everyone is not waiting on your opinion, so don't get uptight
when they won't jump to adopt your ideas. If something really doesn't seem
right put it in writing and send it to everyone who needs to know, if they
choose to ignore your advice and it turns to rats**t, just pull out the
letter and say 'I told you so'. Maybe next time they will listen but don't
lose any sleep over it.
3. Stop worrying about your tools, a bad work person always blames
their tools.
4. When things are going bad, do something else and then come back to
it. It's surprising how easy the solution then becomes.
5. Eat, Drink (non-alcoholic of course) and be merry for
tomorrow.......who knows!

John Nutting

DISCLAIMER: This message may contain privileged and confidential
information. If you think for any reason this message has been addressed in
error you must not copy or disseminate it and we would ask you to notify us
immediately by return email to postmaster -at- taylor-hobson -dot- com -dot- Internet emails
are not necessarily secure. Taylor Hobson Holdings plc is the holding
company for the Taylor Hobson group of companies and is registered in
England No. 3230332, with its address at 2 New Star Road, Leicester, LE4
9JQ, England.