On-line brochure?

Subject: On-line brochure?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:37:58 -0400

Bonita White has <<... just been asked to put together an online brochure
that can be accessed from a web site. I guess I could include the same
information that is found on the site, but it would be in a format that
could be printed; but basically I am at a loss for what I should include (no
one knows what they want, except that it should be creative) and what medium
should I use?>>

If you don't know what you want, how can you design it other than by pure,
blind luck? Is this to be a marketing brochure? A technical information
sheet? A "who is Bonita anyways, and why do they always ask her to save
their sorry butts?" FAQ? <G> As always, you need to start from a clear idea
of what you're trying to achieve: sales, mindshare, or tea and sympathy.
When you know that, you can put yourselves in the shoes of your audience and
ask yourself what means of presenting that message will appeal to them.
Combine the two and you've got an idea of your message, and that in turn
will give you strong clues about your medium. Speaking of mediums, perhaps
you should retain one for this job; a little pyschic power might help
ascertain what your bosses are really thinking. But be careful... that way
lies madness... <g>

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"It is at this point that Shaftoe makes his Big Decision. It is surprisingly
easy--but then, really stupid decisions are always the easiest."--Neal
Stephenson, Cryptonomicon