Russian font and Pagemaker?

Subject: Russian font and Pagemaker?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:47:32 -0400

Jennifer O Neill has just received <<... a Word doc written in Russian and
must put it into a multilingual document done in Pagemaker. The font used in
Word is Arial. This is the first time I'll have used a cyrillic language in
PM.>>

Whoa! Are you sure it's really in Arial? Arial is emphatically not a
cyrillic font, and I'd be surprised if even unicode Arial contains the
Cyrillic character set. Some day, yes, but probably not now.

<<Copying the Word text into PM doesn't work as I don't have a cyrillic font
for PM.>>

If you've got the font in Word, how can it not be available in PM? Assuming
both are on the same computer, you should have equal access to all fonts in
both programs. A few notes: If you're indeed using a unicode font in Word, I
don't believe you'll be able to use it in PM 6.5 (which makes no mention of
such fonts in its index and thus probably doesn't support them; there may be
a patch on Adobe's Web site, but I haven't checked). That being the case,
you might have to upgrade to PM 7.x, which is at long last available, to be
able to use the font. Second, if the text in Word is actually in a symbol
font, you might not be able to bring it into PM successfully unless PM can
use the identical font. One way to check: select a block of Russian text and
change it to another font. If you still get letters (instead of symbols or
gibberish), then the import should work just fine; all you'll have to do is
reapply the correct font.

<<If I buy such a font, eg an Adobe helvetica cyrillic font, when I copy
over the text from Word and change its font to cyrillic, will all be well?>>

You shouldn't be copying and pasting text from Word into PM. Clean up the
Word file, make sure the styles are consistent, then import the file. If
you've done a complete install of PM, you should have all the necessary
import filters. If not, you can get them off your installation CD or from
Adobe's Web site. Once the file is in PM, you can simply update the Word
styles (which PM adds to its style palette) or replace them with your own
styles (using the advanced features in the Search and replace function).
Then delete the old Word styles from the palette by dragging them to the
trashcan.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause
accidents."-- Nathaniel Borenstein