Resume Question

Subject: Resume Question
From: CubFCL -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 13:41:55 EST

Hello All,
A victim of downsizing at the complany I'd spent the previous 10+ years (as
tech writer and training developer), I've been out of work since July. The
prospects for employment (temp or perm) are looking none too bright, and my
unemployment insurance is ticking away fast.

In hopes of brining in some money, and if nothing else stretching my
unemployment coverage a little longer, I've been thinking about taking a
temporary position in a bookstore as extra holiday help. I was an asst.
manager in a bookstore during college, and it's always been one of my
all-time favorite jobs.

I've got a couple questions about doing this, though:

1. Is this 6 weeks or so in retail something that should (must?) go on my
resume?

2. If so, would that work against me in my continuing efforts to find a tech
writing position? My work history will show me going from a rather
high-paying professional position to a minimum wage temp job in retail.
Would this flag my resume for the refuse bin?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.