RE: Bullies (was: Round #4263...)

Subject: RE: Bullies (was: Round #4263...)
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:26:49 +0100

This has nothing to do with the original post, going to court, contracts that go awry, etc. From what I have seen, I believe that original story included due dilligence. But...

When I started contracting, a good and seasoned friend of mine gave me this advice... If the contract doesn't *feel* right, don't take it. A better one will come along. Of course, in these uncertain times that may be hard advice to take, but you have to have a little faith. If you don't "fit" with the working environment, you probably aren't right for the job (or the other way 'round). It's hard to bill for forcing the fit, and you may spend more time on that than on the actual job.

I (being posessed of testosterone and all) do not handle bullies well. Frankly, I have better things to think about, and I don't like what I have to become to get over them. So I avoid them like the plague. If I stray into one, I do my job as quickly and quietly as I can, get what I'm due, log the situation in my "How To Recognize A Crappy Situation" log, and move on. That log has proved very useful to me. (BTW, my "bully" could well be your "dynamic manager" - this is all driven by how your organism responds to other organisms... more complex than the weather, don-cha-no.)

Cheers cud

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr