FW: Two Monitors

Subject: FW: Two Monitors
From: "Newman, Sarah H" <snewman -at- bechtel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:52:27 -0600

John,

I got a second monitor several months ago. It was much, much easier to get a
second 17" monitor (they're piled up around here) than to get a larger
monitor. Ultimately, I think it has been more useful, too. Windows 2000
makes setup easy, you just need a second graphics card.

Switching your gaze takes a little getting used to, but I've found a number
of uses for two monitors:

- As you mentioned, app you're documenting in one monitor, writing app in
the other (As an aside, I found that Hypersnap only captures on the
"primary" monitor)
- When working with multiple documents (cut and paste, reference,
evaluating edits), one doc in each monitor
- Putting my "main" application in one window and supplementary apps
(e-mail, file manager) in the other)
- Multiple (complementary) applications. Right now, I have the training
guide I'm working on in one monitor and the Powerpoint presentation that
goes with it in the other.

I think this arrangement works best when the monitors are the same size
(same make if possible), and set as close together as possible.

I'll never give up my two monitors, never, never, never!

Sarah Newman
BECHTEL CORPORATION
Information Systems and Technology
713-235-3352