Reality Check II - salaries in the new world

Subject: Reality Check II - salaries in the new world
From: Rebecca Stevenson <rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:11:40 -0500

Sorry to steal the thread title, but it's a good one.

I am in the Boston area. After 3 years of tech writing I was laid off last fall. Following a lengthy dry spell I finally have an interview lined up for next week. I am somewhat alarmed by the advertised salary range for the position: it is, at the high end, 20% less than what I was making at my last writing job. I know that the advertised range isn't necessarily carved in stone, but it seems an inauspicious starting point.

The position I am to interview for carries the adjective "senior;" the position I got laid off from was as just a plain technical writer. Titular advancement at far less pay seems to make a strange equation, even if "senior" is defined in the loosest possible sense (as it would have to be for them to be talking to me at all).

I'm not sure if they're being irrealistic, or if I am, hence my question to the list. I expected that any new job would pay less than my last one, given the change in the employment market between late 2000 and now, but I was hoping for a less drastic plunge. On the off chance that they do make an offer, I don't want to hurt myself in the long run by taking it just because right this minute I'm sick to death of not working.

Thoughts? Advice?

--

Rebecca http://home.sprynet.com/~rjstevenson/main.htm

"The greatest act of faith we are capable of is that of loving
another more than we love ourselves, and occasionally we can
be quite good at it." - Li Kao, "Story of the Stone"